Be careful with Oracle silver bullets
Oracle has codified the "silver bullet" approach to Oracle tuning with the Oracle Real Application Testing facility (dubbed "Rat"). RAT is iused along with the SQL Performance Analyzer to provide a complete framework for system-wide testing of Oracle silver bullet changes.
RAT allows the DBA to perform holistic tests when introducing silver bullets, a way to ensure that the global change will have the maximum effect and not clobber the database.
A silver bullet is any single Oracle change that has a profound impact in system-wide performance, both good and bad!
Should you fail to optimize their system for it's workload, SQL tuning can be un-done with subsequent changes to any of the Silver Bullets, changes that could alter the execution plans of thousands of SQL statements! A silver bullet can be any of these Oracle changes:
- SGA pool sizes (shared_pool_size, db_32k_cache_size, etc.) - Pool sizes
have a dramatic effect on Oracle performance.
- Materialized Views - MV can pre-join popular tables together and prefetch commonly-referenced summary data.
- Indexing - Intelligent indexing ensures SQL query completion with a minimum amount of buffer gets.
- Optimizer knobs (optimizer_mode, Optimizer_index_cost_adj) - Changing these global parms can have a profound impact on Oracle performance (both good and bad).
- I/O subsystem changes (RAID level, multiple blocksizes, SSD) - I/O remains the most significant performance bottleneck in most production databases.
- Optimizer statistics - Applying CBO histograms can have a huge benefit to an entire system.
These "broad brush" settings change the way that Oracle processes data in a profound way, and a single change can either make you a hero or get you fired.
Click below to learn more about global tuning with Oracle Silver Bullets:
After several years of hard work, Ion for Oracle is finally available for general release. Ion is unlike any other Oracle tool on the market, a tool that encapsulates expert techniques to allow a DBA to quickly visualize important trends and signatures.
Predictive analytics if the key to repairing Oracle problems before they cripple your database, and I created Ion for Oracle to allow any DBA to quickly identify changing workloads and unobtrusive patterns of data access. To try Ion for free, see here:
Need a health Check?
Oracle is the world's most complex and robust database and there are hundreds of sub-optimal setting that can cripple your database performance.
Burleson Consulting has a great Oracle health check where we identify all database bottlenecks to ensure that your mission-critical system is running at optimal speeds
Just call 800-766-1884 to schedule your health check.
Need Oracle Training?
The very best Oracle training comes from Burleson Consulting, where you get an on-site visit by an experienced Oracle expert and author. Whether it's one-on-one mentoring or getting a customized on-site Oracle training class, there is no substitute for BC Oracle training. Just call 800-766-1884 for details, and check-out our on-site Oracle training catalog at the following link: