Question: We are planning an Oracle upgrade.
What are the different upgrade requirements and challenges? What is
the best roadmap for an Oracle upgrade?
Start with my notes on
Oracle migration best practices.
Also note that each release has its own perils, such as
these upgrade gotchas.
Your DBA should know these DBA best practices for Oracle
- Choose the best target release
- Check MOSC for upgrade issues, bugs and patches for
the target release
- Choose the appropriate new features to implement
- Choose the new initialization parameters
- Setup the upgraded OS and kernel parameters
- Understand all deprecated features and workarounds
- Thoroughly test in a DEV environment using real-world SQL
workloads from production
- Perform a complete stress test
- Carefully plan the production rollout
You are way better off hiring an
expert Oracle migration consultant who has done this many times
before since they will know all of the pitfalls and tricks required
to be successful.
If you want to get your upgrade done right with minimal downtime
and risk, I highly recommend calling 800-766-1884 and hiring a
remote upgrade expert!